Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Time to Indulge

Tomorrow morning, I board a plane for Zambia. I'm keep telling myself that I'm not nervous, but truthfully, I am. I should be. It's a healthy nervous. An excitement to discover the unknown. I've spent the last day and a half getting to know some of the amazing people who will be serving with me in Zambia. It's a good group, and I'm fortunate to get the chance to expand my family once again. I can't help but look around the room of 32 new trainees and wonder what path lies ahead for each. Who's path will parallel closest to mine? So many possibilities.

I've also spent the last couple of days indulging in favorites. Here's my first and most extravagant indulgence. I'll give you three guesses as to what's in that glass...


If you guessed a $21 mega shot of aged tequila, you are correct! You know the Paddle! I sipped on that fabulous, fiery golden liquid for an hour. Perfection. Oh, and in that gigantic bowl is goat cheese, sun-dried tomato, pistachio topped guacamole. Does life get better? I ate a gigantic veggie pizza for lunch today and superb sushi for dinner. The management even provided us with complimentary sake! What?!?! Does that actually happen in real life? And, to end the evening, we stopped at a corner grocery to pick up pints of Haagen Dazs and Ben & Jerry's. Yes, I think I've stuffed in most of my favorite things. I'm ready for the newness of Zambian food and the lack of refrigeration. 

Also, I'd like to publicly thank, Brett, my companion in the above picture. He was kind enough to pick me up at the airport and give me a ride to the hotel. Brett was a fellow volunteer in Morocco. I haven't seen him in 10 years, but I was thrilled to get the chance to catch up with him. I credit Brett with my initial introduction to the blogosphere. I mean, what would I do without the chance to vent all my woes and joys? Thanks, Brett!  

I'll be boarding the bus to JFK international airport in a couple hours. I think perhaps it's time to catch a bit of shut eye. 

Law #7 - Indulge mindfully and with awareness. 

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you both here. I wish you all the best on your next adventure Jenny. And look forward to reading all about it here! - Sarah

    ReplyDelete